Unfortunately, as we have become aware of this, there has also been a plethora of companies jumping on the bandwagon, promoting so called ‘natural’ cleaning products which are not much better than those chemical laden cleaning products we used for decades.
20 years ago, Mark Netherway and his wife Nicole Bijllsma, building biologist, naturopath and author of ‘Healthy Home, Healthy Family’, established the Australian College of Environmental Studies. They found more and more, the chemicals used in our homes were the primary reason for many of our illnesses. Their own personal experience with poor health after moving into new home, and further research on chemicals in household products, electromagnetic fields and allergens such as mould, led them to the conclusion that our homes could be making us sick. In fact, a report published in 2017 found outdoor air pollution kills more people in Australia than the road toll and indoor air quality is up to five times more polluted than outdoor air. (BITRE, 20187;OECD, 2014: US EPA 2017).
As Nicole notes in her book “In the past 30 years, new cancer diagnoses have almost tripled, hospital admission for life-threatening allergic reactions have increased four-fold, breast cancer has doubled, male sperm count has halved, the age of puberty is declining, and learning and behavioural disorders in children have skyrocketed.” Many believe these conditions could be linked to the chemicals in our home.
Nicole and Mark became exasperated when they could not find a cleaning product range which was high quality at a reasonable price. Out of this frustration came a desire to create their own cleaning product range which was solely plant and mineral based. They used only food and pharmaceutical grade ingredients which meant their products were 99.99% pure, with no fillers or hidden ingredients. In contrast, many other companies sourced only industrial grade ingredients being only 72% pure – with the other 28% being the concern. They also used only pure essential oils – no sickly, overpowering, artificial fragrances!
The Abode range has evolved into one of Australia’s more respected and flavoured ranges because the products contain no nasty chemicals. There’s no petrochemicals, artificial fragrances, phthalates, or other harmful ingredients which can often be found in many household cleaning products. Their ingredients are sustainably sourced, environmentally friendly and grey water safe. The range is 100% cruelty free with nothing being tested on animals and is vegan friendly. It is also proudly Australian made and owned.
As with Mark and Nicole, we had been searching for some time, looking for what we believed was the right cleaning range for our store. Recently we installed the range of Abode cleaning products and already it has been a huge hit with customers and staff. I can just about guarantee once you try the Abode cleaning range you will be tossing out all your old cleaning products and switching over to abode. I love this range!! It’s amazing and we have Nicole and Mark to thank for their passion and persistence to create such a range.
Nicole’s book is also available in store.