Derived from the resin of a giant fennel plant, it has a particularly strong odour which is due to sulphur compounds in its volatile oil. It is also known as asafetida and hing and is sometimes referred to as Devil's Dung due to its foetid smell. It is only grown in Afghanistan, Iran and India where it is highly valued for its medicinal properties.
Pure asafoetida is extremely pungent and is normally compounded with rice flour or white wheat flour. Our powder is compounded with gluten-free arrowroot starch (also suitable for low FODMAP diets) making it appropriate for sufferers of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and those who desire a gluten-free diet.
As it cooks, its strong smell mellows, and is replaced with the smell and flavours of onion and garlic. It’s a useful spice for those who can’t tolerate onion or garlic and the consequent gas and strong breath.
Asafoetida, or Hing is packed with health benefits and is an alternative to garlic and onion making it an ideal option for FODMAP diet plans. A small amount combined with the green section of spring onions and/or chives adds a flavoursome replacement when on a restricted diet.
• Traditionally used for the treatment of diseases such as asthma, epilepsy, stomach-ache, flatulence, intestinal parasites, weak digestion and influenza
• antioxidant, antiviral, antifungal, antidiabetic, antispasmodic, hypotensive, expectorant and stimulant
• Thins the blood and lowers blood pressure
• Used in modern herbalism in the treatment of hysteria, some nervous conditions, bronchitis, asthma and whooping cough, and to reduce flora in the gut
• Believed to help treat irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
• Believed to protect against high blood levels of certain fats
• Chemicals called coumarins in asafoetida can thin the blood.